Sunday, May 29, 2022

Celebration of Learning: Graphic Design and Photography Capstone Portfolios!

Visual and Digital Arts Majors at American International College explore many modes of visual expression - photography, video, graphic design and fine art - as they refine their roles as artists and communicators.  By senior year, each student determines which professional path they want to pursue and, guided by a mentor, creates a capstone portfolio.  Please celebrate these culminating projects with us!

Construction Company Logo by VDA Major David Lopez

For my Capstone I wanted to focus on graphic design.  Throughout this year I have been focused on improving my abilities on various Adobe programs like Photoshop and Illustrator.  The projects I have worked on this year I feel are a reflection of my progress and my improvement. During the pandemic I was not able to work with these programs because of remote learning. 

This year I have tried to work everyday on graphic design.  I worked hard designing flyers and logos for my internship, as well for my different courses. - David Lopez  

Social Media Post by VDA Major David Lopez


Natural Light Portrait by VDA Major Margarita Velazco Garcia

When it came to my Capstone, my overall goal was to create beautiful portraits.  With these portraits I wanted to show people’s personalities and create beautiful pictures to capture the audiences’ eyes. Another goal was to get the opportunity to learn how to be in different situations when it comes to photographing people.

I think that images should be able to tell a story and hopefully you can see one. - Margarita Velazco Garcia

Click to view Margarita's full portfolio.

Studio Lighting Portrait by VDA Major Margarita Velazco Garcia



Indoor Light Portrait by Photography Minor Megan Santiago


For my Capstone I wanted to focus on creating a portfolio, so I have something to show my work. In the beginning I looked at some work I have previously done and looked at the work of others to help determine exactly what type of pictures I wanted to take so I could focus and improve my skills with those types of images.

With the help of Professor Nordell, I determined I was most interested in portrait style images for events like senior portraits and/or small groups.  Throughout the semester I arranged multiple different mini photoshoots with friends and teammates to get more exposure as well as to test out new techniques.  I gained new techniques to help improve my final product, whether it be different equipment, use of photography principles, or through means of Photoshop.

Overall, my capstone was very helpful for improving my photography skills. - Megan Santiago


Environmental Portrait by Photography Minor Megan Santiago

No comments:

Post a Comment