Sunday, January 22, 2023

AIC Student Rose McCaffrey Interned with the Herstory Making Maura Healy Gubernatorial Campaign

AIC Student Rose McCaffrey is a triple major: Political Science, Public Relations, and Media Communication Studies.  Rose interned with the Democratic gubernatorial campaign of Maura Healy and her running mate Kim Driscoll.  The ticket won the election, with Healy becoming the first female governor of Massachusetts and the nation's first openly lesbian governor.

Maura and Kim after their victory speeches. November 8th 2022, Fairmont Boston. Photo by Rose McCaffrey

Rose describes her internship experience:

After a long few months… HERstory was made in MA!

Nearly 3,000 phone calls, and nearly 1,000 doors I knocked. We are sending Maura and Kim to the corner office!

I could not be more gracious to have had the opportunity to work in such a historic election. This all still feels so unreal to me!

In October, we opened a Springfield Coordinated Campaign office- and I had the opportunity to talk with Kim (at this point it was the third time). 

Coordinated Campaign Office opening. October 16th 2022. Photo by Lucas Benjamin.

She walked up to me and said “Rose what’s going on how have you been” and of course I was in shock that she knew my name. I told her nothing much and that I was just trying to make HERstory happen. Kim asked me what HERstory meant. History but for women.

Kim and Myself. October 1st 2022, Amherst MA. Photo by Driscoll Staff

Kim included HERstory in her election speech last night. Now- maybe I’m just reading into things but I taught Kim HERstory!

I’d like to thank the amazing people on the Healey campaign for giving me this amazing opportunity. I’d like to thank my two bosses for believing in me and helping me grow professionally.

L to R: Carlos Hernandez (Intern), Maura Healey, Myself. November 5th 2022. Photo by Maura Healey Staff.

Finally- I’d like to thank my parents, my boyfriend Cameron, my uncle Anthony, and all of my amazing family and friends for supporting me through these past few months. I know it hasn’t always been easy and I’ve been so busy.

Andrea Campbell (elected in 2022 as the state's first Black female attorney general) and Eric Lesser (former state senator). Longmeadow MA, October 29th, 2022. Photo by Rose McCaffrey.


Campaign Rally hosted by Sherriff Nick Cocchi. Elected Officials. November 5th 2022. Photo by Rose McCaffrey.

The rest is yet to come. We only move up from here.

Me in front of Sen. Warren at the Democratic Election Party. Fairmont Boston. November 8th, 2022. Photo by Sarah Ardolino.


No comments:

Post a Comment