Thursday, May 11, 2023

My Creative Experience at AIC - A Refection by Occupational Therapy Student Grace Beaupre

As a graduating senior at AIC, I never expected my involvement on campus to be so dependent on my creativity. Primarily, because I never thought of myself as creatively gifted. I was scared of creativity. I saw it as such an incredibly broad and unforgiving realm of expression, that I did not know where a Type A, neurotic, high-strung person, that is myself, would fit in. However, I’ve learned the world of creativity is also so incredibly nuanced, that simply bringing my perspective to a situation, was a form of creativity in itself.

Climate Change - Before and After by Grace Beaupre (Click on image to enlarge.)

I developed my take on perspective in creativity during my History of Photojournalism course. This was when I learned how impactful it is to convey a message through perspective. I created a project on climate change and its effect on increasingly destructive natural disasters. My goal was to embody the duality of before and after, two different perspectives combined to create a significant truth. This is when I saw the value of creating through perspective.

I began to learn creativity wasn’t necessarily artistically involved. It also meant I could use my perspective to create change. This mindset greatly impacted my athletic career at AIC. Complications began my freshman year when I sustained an injury. By my senior year, I endured two (soon to be three) knee surgeries and experienced athletics in a post-Covid world. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to play in a regulation game but remained a member of the team. My senior year I used my unique perspective about being a contributing member to team dynamic as my campaign to run for captain. Sharing this insight was my opportunity to create change in the operations of our team and encourage a positive environment.
 
The Captains - Photo by Megan Santiago '22 
L- R: Rachel Newman, Olivia Sousa, and Caroline Porter, Grace Beaupre

I am continuing my education at AIC to receive my Master of Occupational Therapy degree. This profession symbolizes the concept that every person is a combination of their own experiences and abilities. This requires an ever changing and fluent perspective with every client. This requires understanding the detrimental effects of pre-conceived notions. Perspective, and creativity, are relative.


I recently had the opportunity to use stamps created from AIC’s 3D printing machine to construct a communication board.  The above video shows how the stamps were 3D printed.  

OT students ink Yes - No stamps to print them.

Grace is 4th from the front.

Creative Process - Grace's printed stamp experimentations became progressively more clear.

This exemplified the impact of creating individualized, client-centered technology; something that is only possible when understanding each person through a unique perspective. By learning my style of creativity, I am seeing not only my expressive ability improve, by my clinical practice flourish.

Communication Professor John Nordell collaborated with Occupational Therapy Professor Jennifer Nordstrom to connect her OT students with creativity and 3D printing.  Professor Nordell, who taught Grace's History of Photojournalism course, asked Grace to write about her experiences with creativity at American International College.

No comments:

Post a Comment