Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Psychology Major Annekkia Ritter-Truxal Connects the Rugby Pitch and the Art Room

As a college athlete, I have experienced both the ups and downs of being on an athletic team. I am currently part of the women’s rugby team at American International College. The rugby team has become my second family that I will forever cherish. I have had the opportunity to create lifelong friends that I would have never made anywhere else. 

Annekia On the Pitch - Photos by Professor Nordell, who teaches Cultivating Creativity

Along with my college rugby experience, I have also had the chance to take part in many intriguing courses on campus. One of them being “Cultivating Creativity.” Similar to when I first started rugby, I was terrified to start this course. I instantly started to self-doubted myself and think I was not good enough at the artwork required for this course. My mindset was 100% negative. This was similar to when I first started rugby; I started the first practice with a negative mindset. From the moment I started the class and rugby, my mindset has significantly changed for the better.

Break Down the Bars of Silence by Annekkia

Before taking “Cultivating Creativity,” I had never fully understood the connection that creativity had on the rugby pitch and the art room. While in class, I created a project called “Break Down the Bars of Silence.” This project represented how America can overcome controversial social topics with love. 

Seeing Connections

On the rugby pitch and within the team, I often see how connections with each other overcome the diversity among the team.

The Team Celebrates a Victory

When we first walked on, we all came from different backgrounds with different stories, but the one thing bringing us together was the love for rugby. Our connection is so loud and vibrates that it breaks down the so-called bars of differences among us all. Rugby is a game of camaraderie, team building, and culture. As a team, we grow off of each other and learn to overcome different battles as one. I will forever cherish the connections within my team, and we will always break the barriers among our differences.

 Annekkia Created This Inclusive Sign For Her Cultivating Creativity Class

The Art of Rugby


No comments:

Post a Comment